Art Forms: HOT REDHEADS NEAR YOU An Analysis

I'm fascinated by the way art works. The idea that a person can create some content, be it visual or written or musical, and that content expresses a person's ideas more directly and emotionally than they could ever articulate themself is so romantic to me, and I want to understand exactly how those ideas come through in art.  There's so many types of media nowadays that people can PROM DRESSES UNDER $99 use as tools to create art, and even though I'm only really familiar with a few of them, I can't choose a favorite. I love that there's so many ways to express yourself and your thoughts. How can you choose between a beautiful, sad song and a skillfully written standup set? I know I can't.

The internet is a wonderful tool because it gives so many people access $4.99 JUMBO SHRIMP THIS WEEKEND AT POPEYES to art in many different forms. I love movies and I love analyzing them, and with the invention of Netflix, I can elect to do that any time I want to from virtually any location with wifi. Apple Music lets me listen to whatever songs HELLO LADIES. IS YOUR MAN WEARING OLD SPICE RIGHT NOW? BECAUSE HE'S MISSING AN OPPORTUNITY TO SMELL LIKE A NORSE GOD. OLD SPICE I want to hear and also has a feature where it can suggest new artists to me based on things I've liked. And of course, I can't ROMWE.COM: FREE SHIPPING IF YOU USE THE CODE "PUMPKIN" just go to the Art Institute in Chicago and view a Jackson Polluck painting - but with google images, I can view almost all of them instantly. 

While these technological innovations have improved certain aspects of the way our society consumes art, it has changed some things for the worse. Netflix killed Blockbuster. Headphones and Spotify are hurting live music. To me, the most malevolent of these changes is online advertising, which throughout your reading this post has thwarted you from YOUTUBE RED: LISTEN ANYWHERE, ANYTIME adequately understanding me. I can't tell you how often I've tried to watch a YouTube video that analyzes a movie I've just viewed but I have to endure thirty seconds of subjugation to the Charmin commercial. You might be thinking, thirty seconds, big deal, but in effect that is PLANTERS DELUXE MIXED NUTS: A DELICIOUS, HEALTHY SNACK NOW WITH PISTACHIOS thirty seconds that I will never get back in my entire life. I learned nothing in those thirty seconds, did nothing, and talked to no one. That adds up after a while.

And that makes me really sad. I wanted to learn and understand the art in those moments, but Red Lobster was so desperate for my money that in the middle of reading a heart-wrenching article it had to SEE BLADE RUNNER IN THEATERS STARTING OCTOBER 6 tell me about its new Happy Hour deal on Thursdays. I know that I will never elect to go to Red Lobster independently. I just don't care enough about it, and I'm even a little mad at it for interrupting my intellectual odyssey to try and fool me. But, I suppose Red Lobster isn't at fault. It's simply using the tools of the 21st century to its advantage, just as art forms do. With new technology always comes new challenges and new EVER WANTED TO WOW YOUR EX? FOREVER 21 opportunities. Online advertising is one of those challenges.

Comments

  1. This is brilliant. I think you introduced the interrupting advertisements nicely, and they're paced nicely so that we're distracted by them without being distracted from your point. Also, it's a really interesting commentary on how invasive advertising has gotten. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above completely! Your voice is very much heard throughout this piece and makes a meaningful point. The way you incorporated the interrupting advertisements is so elegant and strong that it makes your work that much more enhanced. Genius! I've never really critically thought about the advertising side of the story before; I've simply gone along with things as the way they are. That being said, thank you for opening up my eyes to realize in a lot of ways, a deeper, more sophisticated issue at hand. Great ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the way you approached this post. It went from a calm post about art to a semi- (if not full on rant) about ads, which are art in themselves. Your point does ring true, ads are probably one of the biggest inconveniences when I'm trying to go down the YouTube spiral, which is kinda counterproductive to the point of the ads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really cool post. The "ads" you include are a really unique way to get your point across about how advertising. the question about internet and art that you raise is really interesting as well. On one hand, the internet allows for unprecedented, free access to art, music, and information for lots of people who wouldn't have it otherwise, but the downside is that now the main way companies get revenue is through annoying ads or, worse, selling consumers' information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. It's bizarre and slightly surreal but it really highlights your argument. Online ads used to frustrate me so much that I would just give up and slam my laptop closed one I got yet another popup ad. If you really hate online advertisements, I'd suggest downloading a good ad blocker, which I luckily invested in long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was...a little difficult to read. But that was your point, so mission accomplished! I really like how you got your point of 'ads are disturbing and waste our time' across, as it is very unique. And I completely relate to your dislike (hatred?) of ads. An ad for a movie that interrupts me reading a sad article about terrorist attacks is not going to make me want to go see that movie. I also think you make a very good point about how the internet can be our friend and our enemy, using the examples of movies and Netflix, live music and Spotify, to list just a couple. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts